Entirely gluten free and comprising of coconut flour for the starch, this is the healthiest guilt free cake I have ever made and perfect if you are avoiding processed grains and flours.
½ cup goji berries 80 grams pitted dates, chopped 1 cup/250 ml water 1 teaspoon orange blossom water 1 cinnamon stick 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 ½ cups/180 grams coconut flour (you can use gluten free flour) 1 cup/60 grams shredded coconut 1 cup/115 grams hazelnuts, chopped 1 cup/250 ml rice milk 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
◦ Preheat oven to 180 C.
◦ Line a 30 cm x 20 cm rectangular cake tin with baking paper
◦ Put the dates, goji berries, water, orange blossom water, cinnamon and vanilla into a saucepan
◦ Simmer gently until most of the liquid has been absorbed – about 5 minutes
◦ Allow to cool, then transfer to a bowl
◦ Add the coconut flour, coconut, nuts and rice milk then mix to combine
◦ Spoon the mixture into the lined baking tin
◦ Arrange apple slices over the top
◦ Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre
Words by Samantha Gowing
Samantha Gowing in Byron Bay
Samantha studied Nutritional Health Science, Pilates and Fitness Instruction and founded Gowings Food Health Wealth.
Samantha is in demand nationally and internationally for her organic cooking classes, corporate cooking demonstrations, kitchen keynote seminars and public speaking.